Here are some photos when demo first began

Removing the closets was quite fun!
Here's where one small closet was, and the furring strips shown for the old fiber ceiling tiles.
Subfloor coming up!  We needed to sister the joists and to run plumbing under here!
The carpet came up very easily
Old knob & tube wiring (w/ 4 ceramic tubes visible)  All this will eventually be removed from the house!
Under the asbestos tile we found icky mastic-coated underlay boards
One of the original closets
Closet gone!  The bump in the corner actually encloses an old chimney, which we have since removed.
Fan in the window to suck dust out, rosin paper to keep the mastic off our shoes.

While reading through the shower tray installation instructions, it mentioned having enough support for attaching shower doors. Humm.. so I guess we need more framing on the two sides of the shower stall where the doors would go. So this past weekend Steve added MORE framing to this area, while I sat bundled up on a chair and was trying to keep him company (wasn't very well that day). He also put up the first piece of vapour barrier in the shower stall. Fingers and toes crossed we are done with framing! The image above is the "not so crazy" wall - we had to shorten the wall by 2 inches and double up the studs on the end. The wall on the other side was crazy - two mistakes made this wall really complicated. On a lighter note, I found this cool ground cover displayed at the garden expo. It was a paving/hardscaping display so it didn't have any information about what it was, but I liked it so I took a picture of the "little green tuft". At the garden expo, we bought some stripy beet seeds, some bloodroot tubers and a book by our favorite gardener, Terry Hollembaek. The book is called "Inside Out Gardening" (ISBN 0977748804), and is a great little philosophical guide for the "kill your lawn" types out there. If you want to spend more time actually enjoying your yard instead of smelling like gasoline, this book is for you. Currently, the book is available at the author's website at http://www.prairieherbs.com/ I read half the book in one evening, and it's already turning my gardening philosophy "inside out". This year, I'm committed to leaving a bit of the "back 40" grow wild, and probably a bit of the front too. I'm also going to finally get my truck on the road and pick up as much free mulch as I can haul, then bury the grass with it. Goodbye lawn!

So framing didn't end after all!
So framing didn't end after all!
So framing didn't end after all!
So framing didn't end after all!

Late Saturday afternoon, we decided we could install the cement board in the shower stall. We unrolled a huge sheet of plastic vapor barrier, stapled it up to the wall, and then realized, to our dismay that the cement board would need much more support than just the existing studs. It needs to be screwed around the edges and into the studs every 8 inches. We had no support around the edges of the panels at all! Frustrated, we gave up for the night, retreating to the local video store and chinese take-out.

Over the weekend we finished the shower seat. LOTS of measurements and calculations! Even when complete, Steve thought we may have gotten the measurements incorrect. We went back to my little diagram and figured it was right in the end, except that the seat is 1/2 inch too tall - an extra sheet of plywood under the shower will fix the height and add extra strength under the shower. The seat framing is done and tested for a comfortable height.

I wanted to post a bit about some previous projects on the house. A couple of summers ago, we started a cedar arbor/trellis over the front walkway. I say started, because it's not done yet. The first summer, we put 4 posts in the ground and added some custom trellis on each side. The second summer, we added a "roof". There's still some more work to be done on it, but at least it looks more like an arbor now

Syndicate content